Wednesday 28 October 2009

The OMM & "I'll start next week"

As the countdown continous towards May 28th 2010, I have had in my mind that the OMM is the start of it all. We set off for Wales on Friday afternoon and eventually got to registration. Got registered OK, spent some money in the Up and Running shop & then back to B&B for chinese take away, a couple of beers & bed.

The forecast for theElan Valley was quite bad but it never really materialised into the squall that was predicted. Our late start (10.57am) meant that most of the clag had cleared prior to us starting.

Day 1- Moved well with some good Nav taking us direct to our checkpoints without any mistakes. The terrain didnt lend itself to being covered quickly and we were quite pleased with our 231 points haul. This gave us an overnight place of 7th which was way above what we expected.

Day 2 - Unlike the day 1 map, which the route choice was fairly obvious, the Day 2 map offered a choice of direction. we went to the East which gave loads of early points but what we didnt know was that the ground conditions were very poor in this direction compared to the South & West. We gave a good account of ourselves though and ended up finishing 39th out of 300 pairs which was better than my expectations prior to starting.

I am now trying to recover this week, with a couple of gentle jogs with a view to start my new training regime next week.

I hope this feeling of " I'll start next week" doesnt last long.

No comments:

Post a Comment